I would never miss an episode of Dancing with the Stars. There is something about this show that I absolutely adore. Maybe it is the glitz and the glam, perhaps the stories of relationships and couples with dedicated work ethic, or possibly it is just the dances themselves, but I am a dedicated fan.
Tonight the show was jam packed with drama. Heinz Ward's partner Kym Johnson suffered a serious neck injury during rehearsal as they were practicing a special lift for their next great dance. It was really hard to watch. It made me sick to my stomach. She was rushed off in an ambulance, and after the shock and excitement of this televised event wore off, I started to remember why I'm not a risk taker.
I don't want to be paralyzed. I'm not ready to die. I don't ever want to end up worse off than I am. (Thankfully, Kym Johnson recovered and danced two perfectly scored dances with Ward tonight. I called and voted for them, my first vote of the season, because Ward cried his first dance and really showed how much he cared for his partner).
Now- me not taking risks may not be true in all circumstances. I think my 403b investments are "high risk," but all I could lose there is money. When it comes to my life- I am a tad more cautious. Life is precious! Sometimes I envy those people who are willing to sky dive, bungee jump, or climb over the rails of the Grand Canyon to get the perfect picture, but other days- like today- I'm glad that I don't take risks, and that I'm still safe and sound on the couch at home with my husband. Maybe I'm just a coward.
I know the saying goes "no risk, no reward," but I think "no risk, no risk." And usually, I prefer to be safe rather than sorry and that is how I'll stay, until I can find a reward great enough to push me past my comfort zone.

No comments:
Post a Comment